Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Please, Oh Please, Won't You Check Me Out?!


The Way We Think: Conceptual Blending and the Mind's Hidden Complexities
by Gilles Fauconnier, and Mark Turner
Basic Books, c2002
Meriam Library Call Number: BF443 F38 2002 (Main Collection)



From Kris:
I'm doing a little project in the psychology stacks. In library speak it's called a "de-selection project," but let's face it, it's really a "weeding" project. The purpose of my project is to pull books from the stacks that are out-dated, in poor condition, or are generally unsuitable for our collection, thereby making room for new books (I don't see us getting a bigger library with more stack space in the near future) as well as to better highlight the great books we do have.

In the process of conducting this project I find books that are in the wrong place, books that have been misclassified, and, {gasp} recent books that have never been checked out. Such is the case with The Way We Think: Conceptual Blending and the Mind's Hidden Complexities, published in 2002. Let me say it again a different way: We've owned this book for three years and it's never been checked out. What up with that?

I think it's wack, so I investigate. Maybe we don't have a library catalog record for this book? (it happens.) Nope, catalog record present and accounted for. Maybe it's a really crappy book? Nope, reviews are favorable... some mild criticism but nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe society has has evolved into a bleak, apocalyptic future a la The Matrix, the world is run by computers, and books are now obsolete? hmmmm...{Kris goes off to check legitimacy of existence...presence of wires attached to back of neck}



From The Book:
Thanks Kris!

Library Patrons: Please, oh please, won't you check me out?! My name is The Way We Think: Conceptual Blending and the Mind's Hidden Complexities and I need to be read. I'm in the field of Cognitive Psychology and cover the topic of Conceptual Blending. Other people like me. If you don't believe me, check out these reviews:

From Science & Consciousness Review:
http://www.sci-con.org/reviews/20041201.html

From Wired Magazine:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.04/streetcred.html?pg=14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home